Monday, November 4, 2013

"To Be or Not To Be" .... What ....



Because we are reading "Hamlet" we all have to look at the most famous line by Shakespeare, "To be or not to be."I looked up two different versions of the line on youtube, one by David Tennant (the one above) and the other by Kenneth Branagh (the one below). Before comparing, I would like to say that both gave exceptional portrayals of the scene and I applaud them on their acting skills, because I have none. However, let's compare. Honestly I love it when actors are just talking by themselves and don't have the weird music in the background. I know such a minor detail, but it bugs me, because when we are talking to ourselves their is no moody orchestra behind us causing suspense. So, one point Tennant zero to Branagh. I also liked how Tennant looked so sad for some reason that was so much more convincing to me than Branagh looking so serious and crazy, he actually looked crazy. And, I think that Hamlet would have been more sad and concentrated on his problem than really going insane. In the end I think that Tennant gave a much better version of the iconic line than Branagh.



3 comments:

  1. Claire-
    I completely agree with your analysis! I think that as unique as the Branagh portrayal was, the Tennant version was much nicer and simpler and made a lot more logical sense. I think the biggest difference in between the two portrayals was definitely the background music which was honestly distracting and took the viewer away from what was being said and what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Claire,
    You have written a very nice blog post. I agree with you that Tennant delivered a better version of Hamlet’s soliloquy than Branaugh. I believe that you have determined the better actor wisely because you know that Hamlet has a sad quality to him and not a serious angry quality. If I were you, I would make a few adjustments to your post. Your blog post could have benefited if you would have separated your ideas into at least two or more indented paragraphs. Your personal comments towards the beginning of your post are interesting but it is important to place most of your attention and emphasis to the actual prompt of the blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Claire! I totally agree that the actors talking without the weird music added intensity to the soliloquy! I also feel like the way Tennant looked sad really was more convincing than the other version. However, I feel like Hamlet looking crazy in the other version made it seem as if Hamlet was trying to convince the audience, not only the other characters in the play, that he was insane.

    ReplyDelete